Monday, January 21, 2013

Fruits and Veggies in your Face

Oh my god. I forgot I even had a blog.  I am the worst.
But I am back!
I am going to post about something potentially boring, but its happening so deal with it.
My girlfriend and I and another couple in town have decided to do a "cleanse."  I wouldn't really call it a cleanse, it is more like we are trying to eat fruits and veggies for 7 days. You can also have a serving of brown rice or lentils once a day.  So in other words, no alcohol, no coffee, no dairy which subsequently means no cheese (sigh).   But I thought I would do a blog post about our week mostly to keep me honest, but also to share some recipes.
My inspiration for this cleanse was a woman, named Laura Hall, we have hung out a few times, and I follow her blog, sprint2thetable.com.   She has great recipes.  Check her out.
She explains the cleanse here.
http://www.sprint2thetable.com/2012/02/cleanse-recap-a-new-addition/
Also we have two cookbooks by Brendan Brazier.  Thrive foods and Thrive Fitness the Vegan nutrition cookbook.  He has great recipes for smoothies and plant-based meals.  We use them all the time anyway, but they are both a great resource this week.  You can check him out here.
http://thriveforward.com/
We also use his products too.  http://myvega.com/ You will see me cite them in recipes. 

So on day 1, we had a blueberry and banana smoothie in the morning, snacked on carrots, apples, and oranges for lunch, and then roasted broccoli with avocado pesto, sweet potato fries, and spicy lentils for dinner.
Side note: We got a Vitamix for Christmas, which is expensive, but I have to say worth its weight in gold.  I LOVE it. You don't even understand how awesome it is.  I LOVE it.  So we will use the Vitamix to make smoothies, soups, and sauces. But all can be done in blender or food processor.   Now for some recipes and a few pictures. I will try to take more the rest of the week, sorry for the scarcity today.
 
Day 1:
Breakfast

Blueberry Banana Smoothie 
2 cups water
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 frozen banana (we buy them at the store and then peel, cut them up and freeze them for ease of adding to smoothies)
1 scoop of Vega Vanilla Protein Powder

Lunch
Apple
Orange
Carrots
(This was not enough food, I was cranky and tired by dinner time, see Day 2 for more food :))

Dinner

Roasted Broccoli and Avocado Pesto (from Thrive Cookbook by Brendan Brazier)
Roast Broccoli at 475 until browned it took my oven about 12 minutes
Avocado Pesto
1 avocado
1-2 cups of parsley or basil or spinach (whatever you have on hand, I used all)
1/2 cup of lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp of dulse (or some seaweed type thing)
Sea salt and pepper

Add all ingredients to vitamix or food processor and blend.

Sweet Potato Fries
Roasted at 475 for about 20 minutes with coconut oil, sea salt and pepper

Spicy Lentils (From Thrive Foods by Brendan Brazier
1 cup lentils 
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup minced red onion
1/2 jalapeno diced
2 tomatoes
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup Cilantro or parsley
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
sea salt

Cook or sprout the lentils and then add all together in a large mixing bowl.

Stay tuned for day 2. 



No comments:

Post a Comment